Sunday, April 11, 2010

Meet Jasmin Larian


Jasmin Larian is an aspiring fashion designer who is currently attending the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in New York City. She is the prime example of a fashion design student in Manhattan - hard working, determined, persistent, and completely obsessed with designing. Hopefully, one day, all of her hard work will pay off.

Were you creative as a child?
Absolutely, I always knew I wanted to design clothes- I was never on the fence in terms of what I wanted to do.

Did you always know that this is what you wanted to do?
Never a doubt.

Do you feel you have worked really hard to get to where you are today?
I have much more work ahead, all the work that I’ve done so far is fueled by my passion for designing so I wouldn’t call it work.

How has FIT helped to shape you as a designer?
I think going to design school has without a doubt given me a huge advantage. At the end of the day you need to know what goes in to executing your designs. You need to be able to understand the vocabulary of garment production in order to oversee a luxury product that is all your own.

What specific things has FIT taught you?
I always used to drape the garments I made because I didn't know how to make patterns before. I used to drape arbitrarily and FIT taught me how to be more technical about it. Patternmaking was completely new for me, and now I utilize a combination of both in my designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment